Mountain Landscape Photography – 1 Day Workshop
Our 1 day Mountain Landscape Photography workshop, based in the Lake District is about getting you into the mountains, beyond well known, easy to reach ‘honey pots’, providing you with some unique photographic opportunities. If you’re interested in landscape photography and want to get to grips with the unique challenges of making memorable images in the mountain areas of the UK, this is for you.
With combined skill sets in both Photography and Mountain leadership, we specialise in getting you to remarkable mountain locations often ‘out of bounds’ to other photography workshops. Our Mountain Landscape Photography Courses are specifically targeted at those people who want to move beyond roadside locations and explore the hidden wealth of photographic opportunities the Lake District offers. If you’re looking for something away from the mountains, pop along to our sister website, “Rod Ireland Photography” for a variety of workshops to suit all levels. For more details of those, click here
Mountain Landscape Photography, Rod Ireland photography workshops and courses in the Lake District. Landscapes and commercial work with high quality landscape images.Course Aims The focus for this workshop is about getting you into places you might not otherwise have accessed, giving you lots of opportunity to practice as you learn and create some memorable images. However, this isn’t just a photography walk – we’ll cover the key skills and techniques needed to capture stunning mountain images and the knowledge needed to operate comfortably and safely in mountain environments.
What will I learn about?
Photographic topics such as:
- Equipment – What kit do we use, taking into consideration the need to carry this into the mountains?
- Exposure – How do we control exposure and looking at creative use of aperture and shutter speeds and considering ‘depth of field’ and histograms
- Composition – planning your shot and looking at the ‘rules’ and considering how to get balance and harmony in your landscape shots
- Lighting – Considering the importance of lighting conditions for landscape shots and how this builds into our planning
- Mountain skills covered such as:
- Basic use of the map and using the map to help plan shots
- Clothing & Equipment
- Considering important factors such as weather during the planning of your trip
Is this course for me?
To make the most of the course you will have a basic understanding of how to operate your digital SLR and you’ll have a reasonable level of fitness (this is important as most of our time will be spent in the mountains). The emphasis will however be on learning skills and making images, rather than covering long distances and we’ll always adapt what we do to match participants needs and expectations.
How long does it last?
The 1 day workshops last around 7 hours. We’re happy to incorporate early or late starts in order to give you the chance to capture sunrise & sunsets and make the most of the “golden hour” light.
What about equipment?
Included in the cost of the course, we will supply the following:
Maps & Compass
What equipment you’ll need to bring along:
- Sturdy waterproofed boots
- Outdoor clothing, including waterproof top & trousers
- Drinking bottle & packed lunch
- A rucksack big enough to fit your kit in
- In terms of camera gear, you’ll need to bring:
- Digital SLR & Instruction booklet (to help you access the range of features your camera may offer)
- Any lenses you have
- Any filters you have e.g. Graduated Neutral Density Filters
- Mountain Landscape Photography, Rod Ireland photography workshops and courses in the Lake District. Landscapes and commercial work with high quality landscape images.Where are the courses held? The courses will usually take place around the Ullswater and Borrowdale areas of the Lake District although if you book as a group we’re happy to look at arranging other venues to match your particular requirements.
Group size and instructors
To ensure you get the most out of the experience and the attention you deserve, we limit this course to four photography participants. Running these courses is only possible by having coaches with combined skill sets in landscape photography and mountain leadership. These courses will always be led by someone with a mountain leadership qualification, in addition to a strong passion and ability around landscape photography.
What about my partner coming along?
If your partner would like to come along, but not do the photography aspects, there is a charge of just £30 for the day for which they will get to enjoy the mountain walk, cakes and tuition on the non-photography aspects of the course such as preparation, navigation, emergency procedures etc. We’ll ensure your both catered for properly!Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Pinterest